Purpose of Community Education and Differentiation from Advocacy
The discussion this week will focus on the differences between community education and advocacy. This week’s discussion will also explore whether or not there are any similarities between community education and advocacy. Understanding how community education and advocacy are utilized to support children and their families will be helpful to you in your role as a human service professional.
Please respond to the following:
- Describe the purpose of community education as it relates to children and their families.
- Evaluate the differences between community education and advocacy.
- Analyze whether there is a relationship between community education and advocacy.
- In your answer, be sure to include an example related to children and their families.
- Recommend when you would choose community education over advocacy when working with children and their families.
Please read the following chapter in your text:
- Chapter 3: “Getting Involved”
Roumell, E. A. (2018). Experience and community grassroots education: Social learning at Standing Rock. New Directions for Adult & Continuing Education, 2018(158), 47–49.
Child Welfare Information Gateway. (n.d.). Public awareness activities and programs. https://www.childwelfare.gov/topics/preventing/com…
Community Tool Box. (2020). Chapter 4. Getting issues on the public agenda. https://ctb.ku.edu/en/table-of-contents/assessment/getting-issues-on-the-public-agenda