I’m working on a sociology writing question and need an explanation and answer to help me learn.
Sociology homework / write up
Part one – Ted talk
Watch the TED talk, Unity in Diversity, by Reza Aslan. As you watch this talk, think and reflect on the following questions:
- How were Iranians perceived in the 1980s?
- What was Aslan’s coping method (for being accepted and concealing his ethnic identity)?
- Which were some of the groups that have served as scapegoats throughout American history?
- What changes people’s minds?
- After reflecting on this week’s course materials and this TED talk, what are some examples of agents of socialization that shaped people’s perceptions of Iranians in the U.S.? And, in general, what are some examples of agents of socialization and their impact on group perceptions?
Part two – Statuses and roles
. This assignment provides you the opportunity to apply your understanding of your own social position in society and how that may shape social interactions at the micro-level.
- List at least 3 of your ascribed and 3 achieved statuses.
- Have you experienced status inconsistency? If so, how? If not, explain why not.
- What master status do you identify with the most and why? Do you think others impose a master status on you similar or different than your own master status? If so, what is it and why do you think they do so?
- What role conflicts or role strains do you experience?
… chapter 4 for part two book link https://openstax.org/books/introduction-sociology-…