I’m working on a sociology discussion question and need a sample draft to help me learn.
What factors in our health care and society, as well as the distribution of these drugs, have caused the increase in the abuse of prescription drugs, heroin, fentanyl, and other opioids?
What are the societal implications of this type of drug abuse? In other words, how are various social institutions affected?
- Are there any demographic or geographic patterns in use or abuse? Explain.
- How has the “conversation” changed related to heroin and prescription drug abuse compared to the 1990s War on Drugs?
- How would a functionalist view the functions and dysfunctions of prescription drugs?
- How would a conflict theorist view the differences in treatment for prescription drug abuse vs. illegal drug abuse?
- How would a symbolic interactionist view the perceptions of prescription drugs and alcohol as legal drugs vs. illegal drugs?