Choose only one question from chapter 3 questions and answer it by using chapter 3 powerpoint:
Read through the following questions and answer one of them in your journal.
1. List and briefly describe the four stages of cognitive development according to Piaget. Provide an example of behavior for each stage. Discuss how this theory should be applied to create a more effective system of education.
2. Cooley developed the concept of the looking-glass self. Describe each of the three steps of the process, providing at least one example of how a person can correctly use feedback from others and how a person can make an error in using feedback. How would each of these affect self-concept?
3. George Herbert Mead explored how a person acquires social roles. Define and provide an example of significant others and the generalized other. Discuss the three stages of development according to his theory, providing at least one example of behavior at each stage.
4. Define “agents of socialization.” Identify what you believe are the two most important agents in the United States and describe the role of each in the socialization process.
5. In “Cultural Diversity in the United States” (p.89), the dilemma of the children of immigrants is described. What are the costs and benefits of choosing either strategy: abandoning the culture of their parents in favor of their new home, or rejecting the culture of their new home in favor of the culture of their parents? Do you know any immigrant families? If so, please discuss what the children of one of the families chose? Was it successful? Why, or why not?
6. Define resocialization, and provide at least two examples of the process. Define total institutions and degradation ceremonies, providing at least two examples of each. Discuss at least one example of resocialization that you or someone you know experienced. Was it successful? Why, or why not? How difficult was it?
Choose only one question from chapter 4 questions and answer it by using chapter 4 powerpoint:
Read through the following questions and answer one of them in your journal. Your answer should be complete, and must be written in standard, grammatically correct English.
1. Define status. Define and distinguish between ascribed and achieved status, providing at least two examples of each. Define and discuss master status. What do you believe is your master status? Why? Define and discuss status inconsistency. Do you believe that you experience any status inconsistency? Why or why not?
2. Define social institutions. Name at least four of the ten discussed in the text and discuss the basic needs they meet for society. Can you imagine any of the ones that you chose ending? Why or why not? Can you imagine them changing? Why or why not?
3. Several prominent sociologists have examined the processes that hold societies together. What is social integration? Define and discuss the differences between mechanical solidarity and organic solidarity, according to Durkheim. Define and discuss the differences between gemeinschaft and gesellschaft, according to Tönnies. Which one or two of the four terms do you believe best describes American society today? Why?
4. Describe the differences between role strain and role conflict. Illustrate the differences by providing at least one example of each and explain why it qualifies as role strain or role conflict. Have you ever experienced either or both processes? If so, how did you respond to it?
5. In the United States, according to Hall and Hall, there are four “social distance zones” or expected physical distances between persons based on the type of interaction they are experiencing. Discuss each of the zones. Discuss at least one circumstance in which someone violated the distance expectations with you. Why do you think it happened? For example, was it a person from a different culture who had different expectations than you or was there a different reason? How did it make you feel? How did you respond?