Readings are Attached: Must Read:
Gubrium and Holstein:
1. Abel “Parental Dependence and Filial Responsibility in theNineteenth Century: Hial Hawley and Emily Hawley, 1884-1885”
2. Hochschild “An Old Age Community”
3. Kontos “Resisting Institutionalization: Constructing Old Ageand Negotiating Home”
Diamond Making Gray Gold:
2. Part Two: Forming the Gold Bricks
3. Chapters. 4 and 5
Requirement: 2 page double spaced. Grading Rubric Attached. ASA format
The log should highlight and synthesize the main points of all the readings or present specific questions that you had about the readings, and it should discuss implications of the readings.
Note that these reading questions/reflections should NOT be a summary of the readings.The purpose is that you demonstrate you have done the reading and given thought to it;
*Follow these Questions/Directions:*
*What is the Center argument of each of the readings. What is it about?
*Achieve how these readings Relate to one another
*Show that you understand how they relate
*Make Connections between the 5 readings
*Analysis of the connection.
• They are not summaries; they only need to demonstrate that you read the material
• What questions for class discussion did it raise?
• What new terms and concepts were contained in the reading?
Opening paragraph : Thesis. What you think the readings are about. Quick summary.
Body paragraphs/Analysis: 1 paragraph for each reading. 6-7 total discussion/analysis paragraphs.
Conclusion paragraph: Explain how all 7 readings relate to one another. How are they related/connected?