SOC 350: Social Interaction
Theory Identification Paper
For this assignment please write a 5-page paper (not including title/reference pages),
focusing on the four social interaction theories discussed in the text and in lectures. The
paper must define, discuss and evaluate each theory in detail, discuss the differences
and similarities between each theory as well as provide a critical evaluation of each
theory. Please feel free to use the internet and/or other resources to complete the
assignment successfully and in detail.
Assignment Requirements: The theory identification paper must discuss each of the
four theories listed below in detail:
2. Symbolic Interactionism
In addition, please use the guidelines provided below to assist in writing and completing
your theory identification paper:
• The general context of each theory—write about the significance of studying this
aspect of each theory in social interaction
• Explanation of the key elements of each of the theories
• Critical evaluation of each of the four theoretical key elements
• Strengths and weaknesses of each of the theories
• Discussion of ways in which each theory can be applied to the concept of social
interaction in an interpersonal/group setting and in the social environment.
Successful completion of this assignment requires research and using the appropriate
materials needed for your theory paper in order to complete the assignment as required.
The theory identification paper should be a well-written and based upon readings and/or
library research; feel free to seek out additional materials related to each theory. Part of
the assignment is to define each theory in detail as well as discuss key elements related
to the theory as well as critically evaluating each theory. Remember that your paper
must be submitted in Microsoft Office Word format.
This paper should be at least 5 typed pages. For all assignments written for this course,
papers must be written in proper form using APA documentation format including a title
page, a reference page, in-text citations and at least three references.
Theory Identification Paper – Grading Rubric
Assignment Rubric for Grading: Below is the grading rubric for this assignment.
Please follow the assignment directions as well as use the grading rubric to complete
your assignment. Your paper will be graded according to the grading rubric.
Grading Rubric Format Scoring: The paper is at least 5 pages in length, typed and
double-spaced. The paper follows APA guidelines including a title and reference page
with at least 5 references as well as provides in-text citations (10 points). Please note
that if one or more of these requirements are missing you will be deducted the full -10
Rubric Grading Part One: The required theories are identified, defined and discussed
as required (20 points max)
• Symbolic Interactionism
Rubric Grading Part Two: Each of the required assignment guidelines for the paper
are followed (70 points max)
• The general context of each theory including the significance of studying this
aspect of social interaction is stated.
• Explanation of the key elements of each of the theories is provided.
• Critical evaluation of each of the theories key elements are provided.
• The strengths and weaknesses of each of the theories are provided.
• The paper discusses the ways each theory can be applied to the concept of
social interaction in an interpersonal/group setting and in the social environment